Sunday, August 31, 2008

Mammoth Camping











Well this summer has finally been completed now that I had the opportunity of going camping. I've been wanting to go for sometime now and had a great time out there in the wild. I had so much fun. Heather stayed home with the cats to keep them company and she likes about one day of camping and that's about it so I went alone with some friends from church. The location we went camping in was at Mary lake which is just below Mammoth mt. There were so many beautiful lakes, trees, wildlife, rocks and scenery around there. What a great place to camp.
The whole time we were there we kept hearing about the bears getting into peoples food but never could find them. Finally we heard of a mom and her cub down by one of the other lakes. We ran over to check them out and were able to get some great pics. I even got a little closer then I wanted to. I lost sight of them and ran out into the woods and then all the sudden they popped out from around a corner. I was literally 15 feet away from them. It was a little scary but fun at the same time. I also went mt biking up at Mammoth ski resort with a couple friends too. We all came out alive after we had each taken several spills.
I spent about 12-15 hours fishing and didn't come away with anything. I guess I am not a fisherman. I was even thinking about doing the Bear Grills thing from Man vs. Wild and just catching my food each day. I'm glad I didn't do that cause I would have died. I didn't think catching a fish was that hard but it was for me. Everyone else that went fishing caught one. One lady even caught one with her hands. I think it was almost dead though. I don't know what my problem was. Oh well, next time. Well here are some of the images I captured.

6 comments:

Christy Ivory said...

Brian,
Oh, my, Gosh!!!!! You got so close to those bears!!!! You are so crazy. The pictures look amazing.. Wow, now i'm jealous. Ryan will be also when he sees your pict's.
Heather's hair cut is so beautiful.. It looks like it is a little below her shoulders, Is that right??? Tell her I love it!!!!

Christy Ivory said...

Bri,
Mom told us that she couldn't catch a fish either. She said someone told her that the fish must not like the oil in her skin when she baited the hook. Well, after all these years she caught one with Ryan and I this summer off of a stick. Weird huh??
Better luck next time.. Don't stop trying. Maybe it was a bum spot.
Christy

Christy Ivory said...

B.N.
Sweet pictures, the mountains look nice there. Wish I could have come. Can't believe the bears, I'm sure your mother didn't like you that close to them. I'll have Jake send you some pointers about catching fish:)
Ryan

cyclinggrandmother/Gilly said...

Brian, don't you know that bears kill people. Stop being so crazy. Heather, you better go with him next time. Maybe he will think about what he is doing if you are with him. He is a dangerous person when left alone. You pictures are fablous. You truly are a photographer.

cyclinggrandmother/Gilly said...

Well I certainly didn't do very well on my spelling. You know what I ment. Your pictures are fabulous.

Sandy said...

My kids loved the pictures of the bears!! Its Caleb's favoirte animal. They have been watching the movie "Brother Bear" lately. Caleb instatly gave them names when we saw the pictures.